Published on July 6th, 2021 | by Pascal Ordonneau


[:en]History of the Rue Benjamin-Franklin (Paris)[:fr]L’Histoire de la Rue Benjamin-Franklin (Paris)[:]

[:en]Header Photo Credit: herry wibisono by Pixabay 

Rue Benjamin-Franklin is both recent and ancient. Located in the 16th district of Paris, the street is long and complex, branching off in two sections, high and low, ending in a strong slope all the way to the Seine. 

It belongs to the Muette neighborhood whose name may have originated from a hunting lodge that Charles IX, king of France from 1560 to 1574, used to own. The street is plain enough but complex because, after being named Rue Franklin, it was renamed Benjamin-Franklin in 1988, 200 years after being created.  Its plaque has a very Parisian look, white letters on dark blue enamel and concisely introduces the man (1706-1790): physicist and American Statesman. 

Benjamin Franklin does not require any introduction to the American audience, nor a description on his importance in the scientific and political American life. Let us focus instead on the French part of his existence, starting with this amusing statement. Franklin, becoming later Benjamin-Franklin Street, was named to honor the political man, diplomat, one of the Founding Fathers of the United States but also because he used to live in nearby Passy. 

Benjamin-Franklin. Photo Credit: WikiImages by Pixabay 

Actually, the American wise man, sent to Paris to gather help and subsidies for the “Separatists”, was welcome in 1777 in the Hotel de Valentinois, a beautiful estate overlooking the Seine, that belonged to a French supporter of the American cause: Jacques-Donatien Le Ray de Chaumont, Grand-Master of Water and Forestry. He resided there until 1788. The Hotel de Valentinois, partly destroyed early in the 20th century, would sit today in Raynouard Street, half a mile away from Benjamin-Franklin Street. What remains of the Hotel bears a commemorative plaque honoring the installation of the very first Parisian lightning rod created by the American scientist. 

Franklin Street, which would be so named in 1790, was mentioned in 1730 on the maps of Paris and its surrounding, as a path meandering around the property of a convent, “le couvent des Minimes de Chaillot.” The layout of the street was set in 1788. It goes across the convent and took its name for a short time “rue Neuve-des-Minimes.”

The death of the great man, in 1790 in Philadelphia, resulted in three days of national mourning in France, as decided by the Constituent Assembly created in 1789. In 1791, the “rue Neuve” was renamed Franklin after the one who had honored France with his presence. 

Paris grew, absorbing in 1860 the hill of Chaillot and its surroundings. On its sometimes vertiginous slopes, homes, schools and prestigious public buildings were progressively built. 

Fellow Franklin would have been proud of the old rural path becoming a street adjoining the Palais du Trocadero which then hosted the famous Musée de l’Homme. The Palais overlooks the Seine and provides an exceptional view of the Eiffel tower and the Champ de Mars where, for the longest time, the most prestigious scientific and technical exhibitions would take place. It borders the Franklin Street for about forty feet and showcases gorgeous high-reliefs. A famous school, St Louis de Gonzague, moved there in 1894 under the direction of the Jesuit Order. The school was casually called after the name of the Famous Man : Franklin. Being an Alumnus of “Franklin” was and still is a sign of high-quality education. Did the educational virtues of Benjamin Franklin play a role in this? Other schools, St Jean de Passy, Sainte-Marie de Passy (until 1970) also settled in Franklin Street. 

At the end of the street, a magnificent bronze statue can be found. 

Its plinth bears votive inscriptions and two bronze bas-reliefs. The statue is a copy of the one carved by John J. Boyle and sitting in Philadelphia. It was offered by an American banker John H. Haryes in 1906. On the pedestal, two bas-reliefs by Frédéric Brou : one represents Louis XVI welcoming Benjamin Franklin at the court in Versailles in 1778, the other one shows the treaty of Paris being signed in 1783. 

The front of the pedestal displays a quote by Mirabeau, on June 14th 1790, calling for the celebration of the memory of Benjamin Franklin. 

“This genius who freed America and poured streams of light over Europe, the wise that two worlds claim for themselves…” 

In 1983, at the foot of the statue, a plaque was laid on the ground, commemorating the bicentennial of the treaties of Paris and Versailles which established the independence of the United States of America. The plaque was offered by the “Daughters of the American Revolution” to the city of Paris and bears this Benjamin Franklin’s saying : “the most beautiful project : working on peace.”

Franklin Street was now part of Parisian history. 

Apartment’s buildings progressively got built, some marking the history of architecture. 

At Number 17: a building built from 1929 to 1930 by architect Marcel Hennequet in reinforced concrete whose facade includes bow-windows and decorations in ochre terrazzo, alternating with lines of white porcelain. 

At Number 25 bis: a building with a reinforced concrete frame (1903) built by brothers Auguste and Gustave Perret, announcing the transition to Art Deco style. 

Politician Georges Clemenceau lived at number 8 from 1896 to his death in 1929, on the ground floor of a bourgeois building of modest appearance. Nicknamed the Tiger, Georges Clemenceau was a formidable statesman of the Third Republic, previously the Mayor of Montmartre, several times Minister, and the “Man of the Victory” at the end of the “Great War” in 1918. A Museum dedicated to him can be visited in his home on Franklin Street. 

One of his greatest speeches ended this way: “My foreign policy and my domestic policy are just one. Domestic policy: I am waging war; foreign policy: I am still waging war…” 

On February 19th, 1919, the street was shaken by a series of detonations. Georges Clemenceau was attacked as he was leaving his home to go to the Ministry of War. The shooter: Louis Emile Cotton (1896-1936), a 22-year-old anarchist who reproached him for, among other things, having forcibly repressed the strikers in the war manufactures. 

Emile Cottin shot nine times. Georges Clemenceau was hit by three bullets and sustained a shoulder injury. Emile Cotton received the death penalty but his sentence got commuted at the request of his victim. 

It is worth noticing that this special Franklin Street is in good “geographic” company: located two steps away, literally, of the place of Yorktown, and half a mile away from the Avenue du President Wilson and the statue of Washington, not far from Quai Kennedy. A little further away, the Statue of Liberty enlightens the world from the extremity of Swan Island. 

This article was translated in English by Anne-Cécile Baer Porter.

[:fr]Crédit Photo d’En-tête : herry wibisono de Pixabay 

La rue Benjamin-Franklin est à la fois récente et ancienne. Sise dans le 16e arrondissement de Paris, c’est une rue longue et compliquée, qui bifurque, se divise, partie haute, partie basse, en forte pente et plongeant vers la seine.

Elle appartient au quartier de la Muette dont la dénomination aurait pour origine un pavillon de chasse appartenant à Charles IX, roi de France de 1560 à 1574.

La rue, fort banale, est compliquée car nommée tout d’abord rue Franklin elle fut renommée en 1988, 200 ans après sa création, Benjamin Franklin. Sa plaque « très parisienne » émaillée en bleu profond écrite en lettres blanches, présente sobrement le personnage, (1706-1790) : physicien et homme d’Etat américain.

On ne racontera pas à un public américain qui était Benjamin Franklin et quelle importance il eût dans la vie politique et scientifique américaine. On s’interrogera plutôt sur la partie française de son existence. On commencera par cette déclaration savoureuse. La rue Franklin, puis Benjamin Franklin, fut attribuée en l’honneur de l’homme politique, diplomate, un des pères fondateurs des États-Unis mais aussi en tant qu’ancien habitant de Passy.

Benjamin-Franklin. Crédit Photo : WikiImages de Pixabay 

En vérité, le sage américain, envoyé à Paris pour y trouver aide et subside en faveur des « indépendantistes » fut accueilli en 1777, dans l’hôtel de Valentinois, très belle propriété dominant la Seine propriété d’un partisans français de la cause américaine : Jacques-Donatien Le Ray de Chaumont, grand-maître des eaux et forêt. Il y demeurera jusqu’en 1788. L’hôtel de Valentinois, qui fut partiellement détruit au début du XXème siècle, serait aujourd’hui situé rue Raynouard à quelques centaines de mètres de la rue Benjamin Franklin. Les restes de l’hôtel portent une plaque commémorative en l’honneur de l’installation du premier paratonnerre parisien conçu par le savant américain.

La rue Franklin, qui ne reçut et ce titre et ce nom, qu’en 1791 était en 1730 notée sur les cartes des alentours de Paris, comme un chemin qui serpentait le long des propriétés d’un couvent « le couvent des Minimes de Chaillot. » En 1788, le tracé de la rue est définitif. Il passe sur le couvent et en prend le nom très brièvement : « rue Neuve-des-Minimes. »

Le décès du grand homme, en 1790 à Philadelphie, donna lieu en France à trois jours de deuil national décrétés par l’Assemblée Constituante installée en 1789. En 1791, la rue Neuve fut renommée rue Franklin en l’honneur de celui qui avait honoré la France de sa présence.

Puis Paris s’étendit, la colline de Chaillot et ses alentours furent absorbés en 1860 par sa grande voisine, la commune de Paris ; sur ses pentes parfois vertigineuses furent progressivement bâtis immeubles, écoles et bâtiments administratifs prestigieux.

Le bonhomme Franklin n’aurait pas rougi de la transformation du vieux chemin rural en une rue jouxtant le Palais du Trocadéro où fut installé le célèbre Musée de l’Homme. Le Palais domine la Seine et offre une vue exceptionnelle sur la Tour Eiffel et le Champ de Mars où furent longtemps organisées les grandes expositions de la science et des techniques. Il longe la Rue Franklin pendant une bonne centaine de mètres et expose de magnifiques hauts reliefs. Une célèbre école, Saint-Louis De Gonzague, s’y installa en 1894 sous la houlette de la Compagnie de Jésus, (dits autrement « les Jésuites »). Elle fut surnommée du prénom du Grand Homme : Franklin. Avoir été enseigné à « Franklin » était (et est toujours) le signe d’une éducation de très haute qualité. Les vertus éducatives de Benjamin Franklin y furent-elles pour quelque chose ? D’autres écoles, Saint-Jean de Passy, Sainte-Marie de Passy (jusqu’en 1970) s’installèrent rue Franklin.

A l’extrémité de la rue, on trouve une magnifique statue en bronze.

Son socle porte des inscriptions votives et deux bas-reliefs en bronze. L’œuvre sculpturale est une copie de celle réalisée par John J. Boyle et installée à Philadelphie. Elle fut offerte par un banquier américain, John H. Haryes, en 1906. Sur le piédestal, deux bas-reliefs de Frédéric Brou : l’un illustre la réception de Benjamin Franklin à la cour de France lors de sa présentation au roi Louis XVI en 1778, à Versailles, l’autre présente la signature du traité de Paris en 1783.

Sur le front du piédestal, une citation de Mirabeau appelant le 14 juin 1790, à célébrer la mémoire de Benjamin Franklin.

« Ce génie qui affranchit l’Amérique et versa sur l’Europe des torrents de lumière, le sage que deux mondes réclament… »

En 1983, au pied de la statue, a été posée, à même le sol, une plaque à la mémoire du bicentenaire des traités de Paris et de Versailles qui consacrèrent l’indépendance des Etats-Unis d’Amérique. Elle a été offerte à la ville de Paris par les « Filles de la Révolution Américaine » et porte cette citation de Benjamin Franklin : « le plus beau des ouvrages : l’élaboration de la paix. »

La rue Franklin était entrée dans l’histoire parisienne.

Elle fut progressivement bordée d’immeubles d’habitation, dont certains ont marqué l’histoire de l’architecture.

Au No 17 : un immeuble construit de 1929 à 1930 par l’architecte Marcel Hennequet en béton armé dont la façade est composée de bow-windows et couverte d’une décoration en granito ocre, alternée de lignes de faïence blanche.

Au No 25 bis : un immeuble à structure en béton armé (1903) construit par les frères Auguste et Gustave Perret annonce la transition vers l’Art déco.

Au No 8, l’homme politique Georges Clemenceau vécut de 1896 jusqu’à sa mort en 1929 au rez-de-chaussée d’un bâtiment bourgeois de modeste allure. Surnommé le Tigre, Georges Clémenceau, homme politique redoutable de la 3ème république, ancien Maire de Montmartre, plusieurs fois ministre fut « l’homme de la victoire » à la fin de la « Grande Guerre » en 1918. Un Musée qui lui est dédié est installé dans sa résidence de la rue Franklin.

Un de ses plus grands discours s’achevait ainsi : « Ma politique étrangère et ma politique intérieure, c’est tout un. Politique intérieure, je fais la guerre ; politique extérieure, je fais toujours la guerre… ».

Jusqu’à ce jour du 19 février 1919, quand la rue fut secouée par une série de détonations. Alors que Georges Clémenceau quittait son domicile pour se rendre au ministère de la Guerre, il est victime d’un attentat. L’auteur, Louis Émile Cottin (1896-1936), est un jeune anarchiste de 22 ans qui lui reproche notamment d’avoir lutté par la force contre les grévistes des usines de guerre.

Émile Cottin a fait feu à neuf reprises. Georges Clemenceau sera atteint par trois projectiles et blessé à l’épaule. Emile Cottin sera condamné à mort, mais verra sa peine commuée sur l’intervention de sa victime.

Il faut maintenant relever que cette fameuse rue Franklin est en bonne compagnie « géographique » : à deux pas (au sens précis du terme) de la place de Yorktown, à quelques centaines de mètres de l’avenue du Président Wilson et de la statue de Washington et non loin du quai Kennedy. Un peu plus loin, la statue de la Liberté éclaire le monde plantée à une extrémité de l’Ile aux cygnes.

Cet article a été traduit en anglais par Anne-Cécile Baer Porter.[:]

About the Author

has 40 years of banking at several French and Anglo-Saxon institutions. He is the author of several books on economics and banking, a travel book, a novel and a book on Germany. He writes for newspapers and radio, including Les Echos, Le Figaro, Huffington Post, Radio France International.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to Top ↑